Who, what, why, when, where. Back in my college journalism days, these were the necessary points to cover in any article or broadcast. As a business owner, experience has shown me that the first and most important one, by a long shot, is “Why.”
Knowing the “Why” of your company is like creating a guidebook that outlines the answers to the rest. The who, what, when and where. It brings direction and clarity to all your decisions and actions. With direction and clarity comes business momentum and growth. Without it there is confusion, random action and stalled or declining results.
There are actually two “Whys” and it all starts with discovering what these are for you. They are completely individual. There is no power in borrowing someone else’s “Why.” It’s something you must discover for yourself.
We go through the description of the two “Whys” you are after. I’ll give examples from others that will help you uncover your own unique position. This can lead to significant change for you and your business. I’m so excited for your discovery!
Business Building Insights
- Understanding your two “Whys” brings purpose to your efforts and clarity to your actions.
- Having an understanding of your personal underlying motivation will help you through the difficult times in your business.
- Starting a business solely to bring in money leads to disaster. There must be something more.
- One of your “Whys” is only for you. You can even keep it private if you do want. Once you have it identified, it will give you power.
- It’s up to us to tell and excite people about learning more and using our product or service.
- What makes your product most valuable is not the features that can already be seen. It’s the emotional connection created by knowing and talking about the “Why.”
- Your “Why” sets you apart from others and leads to the most loyal customers.
How Great Leaders Inspire Action with Simon Sinek
Start with Why by Simon Sinek
Gift Biz Resources
Take the Gift Biz Quiz
Where are you in your business building journey? You may be further along than you think. Take this quiz to find out. At the end, you’ll have access to a free download to help you along. P.S. This is not a quiz where your result gets published to social media. It’s for your eyes only :o)
The Makers MBA Program
Feel the pride and satisfaction of turning your passion into a profitable business. Become a member of the Makers MBA program and access valuable videos, worksheets, and guides and connect with a community of gift biz builders just like you. It’s time to get moving on your dream. Get started today!