Did you know research shows that happiness and physical well-being are strongly linked together? It turns out that when you’re happy, you also enjoy the positive effects of cardiovascular health, immune system function, longevity, and even mental health. Basically … it turns out … we need to be happy to stay healthy!
This works in business, too, because incorporating happiness into your work days can have a positive impact on your productivity and performance.
In this article, let’s look at the connection between happiness and your physical and mental health, along with its impact on your business. Then, I’ll share some practical ways to create time for and prioritize your happiness both at work and at home.
Ready? Let’s dive in.
The Link Between Happiness and Physical Health
As I already mentioned studies show that when you’re happy, your body is healthier. For instance, the hormone oxytocin, which is released when experiencing positive emotions such as joy, reduces stress levels and helps to improve mental health.
In this article from Berkeley University, they explain 6 different ways that happiness helps your health. It ends up being happy:
- Protects your heart
- Strengthens your immune system
- Combats stress
- Results in fewer aches and pains
- Combats disease and disability
- And even lengthens your life!
In short, being happy is a key factor in improving your overall physical health and well-being.
So, with all other things being equal, a happier person is also a healthier person. If you have two people with similar lifestyles and diets but one of them is much happier than the other, which one do you think will be healthier? Chances are that the happier person will have better physical and mental health.
The Importance of Happiness in Business
You might think that happiness is only important in our personal lives, but it’s actually quite significant in business too. Happy people are more engaged and are generally more efficient than those who are unhappy.
As a small business owner, it’s particularly important to focus on your own happiness. Not only does it have physical benefits but it also:
- makes you more productive
- increases curiosity, creativity, and motivation
- improves your ability to handle stress
And the good news is that since you have your own business, you’ve already got a head start! Studies show that entrepreneurs “have a significantly lower incidence of physical and mental illnesses, visit the hospital less often, and report higher levels of life satisfaction.” (source)
What a great added bonus for you!
So, while it’s important to make sure that everyone on your team is happy and content with their job, it’s crucial to start with you.
Creating Time for Enjoyment And Happiness
It’s easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of daily life and forget about taking care of your own mental health.
But you can’t just say, “OK, I’ll decide to be happy now”, and have it happen. So how do you get happy? The key is to consciously make time for things that bring you joy. This includes literally anything from taking regular exercise classes to pursuing your hobbies or spending quality time with loved ones.
Starting now, take notice of things that make you happy. It could be as simple as sitting down each morning with a steaming cup of coffee. I’ve heard over and over again from guests on the podcast how the littlest of things that exist in our normal days bring a spark of joy. Imagine how it would be if you incorporated lots of these into your daily routine?
Incorporating moments of joy and celebration into your work environment is possible too. When you hit a major milestone at work or reach an important goal, take a few moments to recognize your achievement. Too often we check it off the list and move on to the next thing, oblivious to the fact that you’ve just succeeded with something and you are progressing. Slow down and pat yourself on the back!
Of course, it’s important to keep your work-life balance in check if you want to stay healthy, both mentally and physically. Don’t forget to take breaks during the day and make sure you get enough sleep. This will give you more energy for the things that matter most in your life.
Practical Tips To Create More Happiness In Your Life And Business
Let’s look at some specific ways to be happy, stay healthy:
- Exercise regularly and find time for physical activity every day: Not only will it make you physically healthier but it will also give you an endorphin boost that will make you happy!
- Practice mindfulness and meditation: Mindfulness helps to reduce stress, improve focus, and increase self-awareness.
- Take time for yourself: It’s important to take breaks during the day and give yourself permission to relax and enjoy life.
- Pursue hobbies: Doing something you love, whether it’s painting or playing a musical instrument, can help to boost your mood and happiness levels.
- Spend time with family and friends: Connecting with people we care about can bring immense joy to our lives.
- Incorporate moments of joy and celebration into your work environment: Celebrating successes, no matter how small they are, can be a great way to boost morale in the workplace.
- Remember to love where you are and do something that makes you happy every day.
To hear how other makers add happiness to their everyday life, listen to:
- Ep. TT90: My Happy List And Why It’s Important
- Ep. 245: Find Out How Tiny Habits Bring Happiness into Your Life
- Ep. 288: How to Manage Stress in Business to Achieve a Happier and Healthier Life
Be Happy, Stay Healthy, And Thrive!
We’ve discussed the connection between happiness and physical health, and how it’s important to make sure handmade creators prioritize your happiness and well-being, in addition to that of their team, if they have one.
We’ve also looked at practical tips for creating more joy in our lives and work routines.
When we focus on our own happiness, it has a very positive ripple effect in terms of physical health, mental wellbeing, and even productivity and success.
So go ahead – be happy! Stay healthy! And enjoy life!