Katie is the founder of Tradeshow Bootcamp, host of the Proof to Product podcast, a business strategist, and mentor to creative entrepreneurs.
She’s helped more than 850 brands get their products on the shelves of retail stores big and small. Her clients’ products can be found in Target, Anthropologie, Nordstrom, The Container Store and independent boutiques around the world.
Katie is a firm believer in professional development, surrounding yourself with community and pushing ‘go’ even when you might not feel 100% ready.
Business Building Insights
- Focus on your product first. Make sure everything is in place and you are prepared if you decide to pursue wholesale.
- As you learn about wholesale, start with small independent shops.
- Initial contact can be through an email that is brief, to the point and includes a link to your catalog.
- Being professional at all levels will call attention to your business and help you get repeat orders. This includes order accuracy, timeliness and following up with requests.
- Building authentic relationships with customers will result in growth for your business.
- Ask people how they like to communicate and then use that channel when you work with them. For some it will be email and for others it may be a phone call or even Facebook direct messages. You never know!
- Build your own list of potential wholesale clients. Don’t buy lists. It’s quality over quantity.
- At trade shows, connect with as many people as possible. It’s about the conversations.
Anything You Want by Derek Sivers
Storybrand by Donald Miller
Box or Boutique with Bob Hurley